Sunday, June 5, 2011

SALT: Russian Spies, Ambition, and Anastasia

I just watched the movie Salt with my roommate, Dell. It was my first Angelina Jolie movie and I was previously concerned that it would be a Tom Cruise dilemma: the actor tries to look good in as many ways, and from as many angles, as possible. This was surprisingly and fortunately not the case, and for that: Angelina has my respect. This movie was thought-provoking and slightly overwhelming at times with the magnitude of its plot. I crave nothing more than a thoughtful and meaningful plot line, anything to do with foreign governments is intriguing. Movie Mom Review: lots of violence & some torture. I was slightly downcast to admit to myself that I am not so good with pain so I officially cannot be a spy. This movie also made me question my future career: how intensely do I want to be involved in foreign relations? What would this mean for the people close to me, if I chose to become involved in top-secret operations? I am seriously considering working for the State Department but with my soon-to-be-developed language capabilities I would be at the frontline for the War on Terrorism. The sooner I learn Arabic, the sooner I can learn Persian-Farsi, and the more prepared I will feel to make these decisions. How much could I contribute and how much would I have to give up? These are relentless questions, perhaps too serious for a blog post. But I think best when I write or type and this is the forum that I am currently using to keep people updated on my life, and this is a large percentage of my thought process. It was made exponentially more relevant by my association with some Russian friends, one of whom is half-seriously convinced that I am a spy. Maybe I'll let him believe that for a little bit longer. :)
RUSSIA. This country has a fascinating culture & history. I simply have to live to be 100 so I can 1) get a signed letter from the President saying "Congrats!" and 2) so I can travel all over the world. Top of the list right now because of literature I've been reading & the people I know: India, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, China, Japan, and Russia. In honor of Russia, my book report on Anastasia's autobiography, and because I'm at Disney, Anastasia: "Hey Juliet" <3 Dimitri :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRS9L1D8BWs&NR=1

No comments:

Post a Comment