Saturday, January 5, 2013

Society is Sick and Needs a Cure.

Agenda for today: go to the market, scrapbook with the family, stay warm, watch The Secret documentary.

I have been giving some thought to the recent news reports involving shooters. I have come to the conclusion that everyone should read the short article "Sheep, Sheepdogs, and Wolves." Guns are not the problem. The problem is the culture of violence that has been glorified in Hollywood and the psychological problems that exist in society. Our society is sick. I'm not trying to be over-religious but I want to pose an idea: a lot of these problems could be solved if people had stable family lives. The teachings of my church (www.lds.org and www.mormon.org) have a heavy emphasis on the importance of the role family plays in shaping our character.

I'm serious. There are many psychological disorders that are genetic and/or unavoidable but for the other cases, most of them had some kind of serious family dysfunction. I think that it is so important for people to recognize that people are delicate and should be given positive role models at a young age. Otherwise, people create role models out of violent characters.

Also, stop releasing the name(s) of the shooters. There is a small part of every person that wants to be important. For some people, committing a heinous crime is a way to achieve that. If they don't become an infamous celebrity, at least some of the appeal is taken away from committing these acts. My very deepest sympathies go out to the victims and their families. I am especially troubled by the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary because children are so innocent. I ask that as a society we take a few seconds to think about the most important things in life and take care of the people we care about because the world is getting a little crazy.

Also, I may get a gun. Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. Lives can be saved if they are being protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment